Attorney Mark J. Markus
Certified Specialist in Bankruptcy Law*
*State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
A Little About Me
I am a Los Angeles native; born, raised and still live here. I love the Los Angeles Area, and California as a whole. Not just because of the famed weather, but because of the vast range of activities available. I am also continually energized by the vast diversity of people that live here, and who become my clients.
I have practiced exclusively bankruptcy law since 1991, helping many file bankruptcy under Chapter 7, Chapter 11, and Chapter 13 with clients that range from single moms with credit card debt, to people with huge tax debt, to businesses, including corporations and partnerships.
I am a Board Certified Specialist in Bankruptcy Law (LEARN MORE) .
I represent creditors as well as debtors.
I do not operate like most other lawyers. I do have offices in Burbank and downtown Los Angeles, but I’m typically not there. I take advantage of modern technology and work from where I happen to be at any given time, whether at home, in court, or a distant location.
While you always have the ability to see me in my office by appointment, you will never be required to. We can meet by phone or online, so you can meet with me when it is convenient for you.
- A+ rated by the Better Business Bureau
- Certified Specialist in Bankruptcy Law by State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
- AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell: (Click Here for more information)
- Superb-10.0/10.0 rating from Avvo.com
I have practiced exclusively bankruptcy law since 1991 in California. What this means is that I have been immersed full-time in the study of bankruptcy law and representation of bankruptcy clients since that date. I didn’t decide to branch off into bankruptcy because I wasn’t doing well enough drafting wills or doing probate law; I didn’t jump on the bankruptcy bandwagon when it suddenly looked more appealing or profitable. Bankruptcy law is all I do.
California State University, Northridge. Bachelor of Arts. Economics. 1986.
University of Arizona College of Law. Juris Doctorate. 1990.
- Founding Member: Central District Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys Association (CDCBAA)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association(LACBA)
- Commercial Law & Bankruptcy Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Financial Lawyers Conference (FLC)
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (NACBA)
- Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum (LABF)
- American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI)
- San Fernando Valley Bar Association (SFVBA)
- Southern California Bankruptcy Inn of Court
CLICK HERE to see my published article on venue (where a bankruptcy case may be filed) published in the Central District of California Bankruptcy Attorney Association’s Fall 2007 Newsletter
In re Jensen, 407 B.R. 378 (Bankr. C.D. Calif. 2008). Successfully opposed U.S. Trustee Motion to Dismiss under 11 U.S.C. 707(b)(1). Debtors had purchased a home, a boat, and a motor home prepetition. The Office of the United States Trustee filed a Motion to Dismiss alleging that debtors should not be allowed to take a deduction for luxury items, trying to impose a “reasonableness standard” instead of what Congress provided for.
Listen to an audio clip of Mark’s co-hosting of Bob McCormick’s “Money 101” on KNX Newsradio 1070 AM
Guest Lecturer. “Doing Business in the United States”. UCLA Extension. February 2014.
Faculty. Institute for Paralegal Education. Practical Bankruptcy Techniques Seminar. December 2003.